Research & Activities
The CUSP affiliated faculty are actively conducting rigorous research recognized through high impact journal publications. The journals published have impact factors as high as 5.6.
- Graham, S., Wijekumar, K., Harris, K.R., Lei, P., Fishman, E., Ray, A., & Houston, J. (in press). Writing skills, knowledge, motivation, and strategic behavior predict students’ persuasive writing performance in the context of robust writing instruction. Elementary School Journal.
- Wijekumar, K., Graham, S., Harris, K.R., Lei, P., Barkel, A., Aitken, A., Ray, A., & Houston, J. (in press). The roles of writing knowledge, motivation, strategic behaviors, and skills in predicting elementary students’ persuasive writing from source material. Reading & Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal.
- Wijekumar, K., Beerwinkle, A., Joshi, R.M. (2019). Etiology of teacher knowledge and instructional skills for literacy at the upper elementary grades, Annals of Dyslexia. 69(1), 5-20, DOI: 10.1007/s11881-018-00170-6
- Wijekumar, Meyer, Lei, Beerwinkle, (in press). Improving Content Area Reading Comprehension with 4th and 5th Grade Struggling Readers with a Web-Based Intelligent Tutoring System, Journal of Learning Disabilities
- Xu, Z., Banerjee, M., Ramirez, G., Zhu, G., & Wijekumar, K. (2018) The effectiveness of educational technology applications on adult English language learners’ writing quality: a meta-analysis, Computer Assisted Language Learning, DOI: 10.1080/09588221.2018.1501069
- Wijekumar, K., Meyer, B.J.F., Lei, P-W, Hernandez, A., August, D. (2018). Effects of web-based text structure instruction for 4-6th grade Spanish Els reading comprehension. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 31,9: 1969-1996.
- Beerwinkle, A., Wijekumar, K., Walpole, S. & Aguis, R. (2018). An Analysis of the Ecological Components within a Text Structure Intervention, Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal , 31,9: 2041-2064.
- Ji, Xuejuen, Beerwinkle, A. & Wijekumar, K. (2018). Using Latent Transition Model to Identify Effects of an Intelligent Tutoring System on Reading Comprehension, Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, , 31,9: 2095-2113.
- Meyer, B.J.F.,& Wijekumar, K. (2018) Comparative Signaling Words Generated for Expository Texts by 4th – 8th Graders: Variations by Reading Comprehension Levels and Text Structure Strategy Intervention, Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, , 31,9: 1937-1968.
- Wijekumar, K., Meyer, B. J. F., & Lei, P. (2017). Web-based text structure strategy instruction improves seventh graders’ content area reading comprehension. Journal of Educational Psychology, 109(6), 741-760. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/edu0000168
- Wijekumar, K., Meyer, B.J.F., Lei, P., Xuejun, J., Joshi, R.M. (2017, April 5). Evidence of an Intelligent Tutoring System as a Mindtool to Promote Strategic Memory of Expository Texts and Comprehension with Children in Grades 4 and 5. Journal of Educational Computing Research. DOI: 10.1177/0735633117696909
- Berninger, V. W., & Joshi, R. M. (2016). New directions in preservice and inservice professional development for teaching students with and without specific learning disabilities in middle childhood and early adolescence. In R. Schiff & R. M. Joshi (Eds.). Handbook of intervention in LD Classrooms. (pp. 255-274). Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer.
- Joshi, R. M., & Binks-Cantrell, E. (In Press). The Emperor’s New Clothes in the Preparation of Reading Teachers. In P. McCardle, D. Compton, & J. Washington (Eds.). Dyslexia: Revisiting etiology, diagnosis, treatment, and policy. Baltimore, MD: Paul Brookes.